Basic Concept of PortaUM (article from PortaUM Admin PDF)
- PortaUM’s auto attendant is composed of a set of menus.
- All the menus are identical in every respect, except for the ROOT
menu, which is always present and cannot be deleted, and whose
name cannot be changed.
- When a caller dials the system, auto attendant will answer (connect)
the call and proceed to the ROOT menu.
- If a user tries to access a menu which is not currently active, the
action specified in the Not Active configuration parameter will be
performed; for instance, the user may be automatically forwarded to
an “after hours” menu.
- The Intro prompt (e.g. “Welcome to Globalink Inc, a VoIP solutions
company!”) is played when a user enters a menu for the first time.
- After this, the Menu prompt will be played, listing all the available
options (e.g. “Press 1 for sales, press 2 for technical support”), and
auto attendant will collect the digits dialed by the user on his phone
- If no input is received (timeout), the Default prompt is played and
the dialog reverts to the previous step (i.e. plays the Menu prompt
and collects the user’s input).
- The user’s input will be matched with the corresponding menu items,
and the action associated with this item will be performed. The
following actions are possible:
o Default – Plays the Default prompt from the current menu
and returns to the “Play Menu prompt” step (this is the action
used for all menu items where the initial value has not been
o Transfer – Transfers the call to a given telephone number or
extension. The phone number should be entered in the same
format as the customer would use to dial it from an IP phone
in his IP Centrex environment; for example, to transfer a call
to extension 123, simply enter 123.
o Transfer to E.164 Number – Transfers the call to a given
number. The number should be specified in E.164 format: the
country code, followed by the area code, and then the number
(e.g. 16045551234 for Canada).
o Transfer to Extension – Transfers the call to an extension
number entered by the caller from his phone. To prevent
abuse (e.g. someone attempting to enter a long-distance
number in this way), you can specify the maximum allowed
number of digits in an extension (Max Size).
o Transfer to Voicemail – Switches to voicemail mode. This
should be designated as an action for the “Fax” event, in order
to allow storage of received faxes.
o Menu – Transfers the user to the selected menu.
o Directory – Launches this company’s dial-by-name directory.
o Queue – Transfers the call to the specified call queue.
- You may select whether the corresponding Before Action prompt is
to be played prior to the action.